Wedding Planning Checklist: Section 4: Part 1 of 2
We packed this post with so much great information, we had to divide it up! Today we’ll cover interesting statistics from The Wedding Report for 2011, 5 tips for purchasing wedding bands and a quick guide to wedding band metals. Check back tomorrow for another quick guide about shopping genuine diamonds AND affordable diamond alternatives!
The 2011 Wedding Report Says…
• In 2010, brides and grooms spent $9.64 billion on engagement rings and wedding bands.
• Most couples purchase their engagement and wedding rings from large local (national chain) jewelers.
• Diamond use for groom wedding bands saw the biggest increase in demand.
• Engagement ring average carat weight is 1.18.
• The diamond shape “Round” makes up more than half of what consumers want.
• White gold continues to be the most popular metal choice.
• Approximately 26% of couples said they personalize or customize their engagement ring and wedding bands.
• When it comes to engagement rings and wedding bands, brides and grooms say that durability, design and style are most important.
• The prime timeframe appears to be at least 6 months plus for both researching and paying for the engagement ring and wedding bands.
5 Purchasing Tips
1. On average, couples spend about 2% of their wedding budget on the wedding bands.
2. Order wedding bands no later than four months before the wedding date.
3. Wedding bands don’t have to match.
4. A lower karat gold is actually more durable.
5. White gold is popular because it looks like silver, it’s durable and it’s reasonably priced.
A Quick Guide to Wedding Bands
• 24k = 100% gold
• 18k = 74% gold
• 14k = 58.5% gold
• Yellow gold – The higher the gold percentage, the richer the color and softer the band. Therefore, 14k is actually more durable than solid gold due to the metal additives.
• White gold – White gold looks like silver and is stronger than yellow gold.
• Platinum – Also looks like silver but stronger than gold and more expensive.
Check back Saturday for the diamond-shopping guide and great diamond alternatives!